Our FREE programme of training days develop creative practise in the classroom that align with the exciting scope and direction of the New Curriculum for Wales especially Expressive Arts teaching.
Attending one or more of these will provide ideas and strategies to take straight into your teaching of expressive arts and to support other areas of learning too. Schools in the Central South region can claim supply cover costs up to £100 per teacher.
- Dance and movement session with National Dance Company of Wales | Tuesday, 8 October 2019, 9.30am-4.30pm | The Dance House, Pierhead Street, Cardiff CF10 4PH | This day for teachers is an introduction to movement and physical knowledge of the body. The session will develop the non-specialist teachers’ confidence to deliver dance education.
- Funding application and bid-writing for schools | Monday, 21 October 2019, 10am-4.30pm | Theatr Soar, Merthyr Tydfil CF47 8UB | A day of training for teachers and artists who want to learn more about different funding sources for collaborative projects and need help on how to write a proposal or funding application.
- Animation techniques in the classroom | Tuesday, 22 October 2019, 9.30am-4.30pm | Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff CF5 1QE | Enhance your technical and digital skills to support your use of animation in the classroom. With tips and guidance on how to get the most from the resources you have available.
- The object as inspiration for learning | Wednesday, 6 November 2019 , 9.30am-3.30pm | Sherman Theatre, Cardiff CF24 4YE | A day demonstrating how simple creative techniques can yield huge benefits in inspiring participants, curiosity, wonder and drive for pupils in writing and oracy tasks across the curriculum.
- Gamelan in the classroom | Friday, 8 November 2019, 9.30am-4.30pm | St David’s Hall, The Hayes, Cardiff CF10 1AH | A day exploring the use of Javanese Gamelan music as the stimulus for music making in a non-specialist classroom as well as considering the connections between sounds, musical cultures and societies around the world.
- Documentary film-making | Tuesday, 12 November 2019, 9.30am-3.30pm | Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff CF5 1QE | An immersive day on documentary film-making, focussing on getting the most out of your equipment. Including planning, filming and editing the day will leave you with ideas and skills for the classroom.
- Teacher in role | Wednesday, 27 November 2019, 9.30am-3.30pm | Memo Arts Centre, Barry CF62 8NA | Exploring simple drama based approaches that enhance engagement with learning, encouraging listening and imaginative, independent and speculative thinking.
- Introduction to circus and physical theatre | Tuesday, 14 January 2020, 9.30am-3.30pm | Upside Down Circus, Cardiff CF24 5SD | A day exploring Circus and Physical Theatre skills including fun exercises and games that develop physical literacy, character role play and incorporate movement to develop motor skills, and core strength.
- Creative approaches to writing stories and characters (bilingual session) | Thursday, 23 January 2020, 9.30am-3.30pm | Cardiff Story Museum, Cardiff CF10 1FL | A day that will provide teachers with strategies to improve literacy and oracy using dialogue and pupil voice to develop storytelling, creative writing, and discussion in the classroom.
- Contemporary arts practice in the classroom: Primary focus | Friday, 31 January 2020, 9.30am-4.30pm | Llanover Hall Arts Centre, Cardiff CF5 1FH | Artist, Holly Davey, will be facilitating two training days for both primary and secondary teachers to offer support in developing creative research approaches to explore society, communities and associated issues. For Primary focus the day will enable the teachers to develop confidence, build knowledge and explore ways of using contemporary art to support the learning environment.
- Scared of singing? | Thursday, 6 February 2020, 7.00-10.00pm | Venue TBC | This session, ideal for the non-specialist, provides fun, easy strategies to make singing; easy and integrated into daily routines, to support sequential learning and more. You too can have music in the classroom every day.
- Contemporary arts practice in the classroom: Secondary focus | Friday, 13 March 2020, 9.30am-4.30pm |G39, Oxford St, Cardiff CF24 3DT | Artist, Holly Davey, will be facilitating two training days for both primary and secondary teachers to offer support in developing creative research approaches to explore society, communities and associated issues. For Secondary focus the day will enable the teachers to develop confidence, build knowledge and explore ways of using contemporary art to support the learning environment.